In the software there are two ways to apply a write off within a patient's ledger. A Bulk Write-Off or A Manual Write-Off.
The Bulk Write off area can be used to write off Patient Balances ONLY.
If you have a payer balance, you can only apply a write off by using the Manual write-off steps below.
How To apply a Bulk Write-off
You will go to the Patient's File > Ledger > Charges tab > Select the Bulk Write-Off Button to the far right of the patient's ledger.
A window will appear and all 4 areas will need to be filled out.
- Scope: Select whether you are writing off all charges or only charges from Today, Yesterday, This Week, This Month or Range of Days.
- Order: Select to post write offs to the Oldest charges First or Evenly across the board
- Write off amount: Select a Fixed dollar amount of the write off or a percentage
- Reason and Date: Select the write off reason from the drop-down and the date you would like the write off posting date to be.
Then select Post Write Off
Once your Bulk write off has been applied, you will see +signs to the left of the CPT code, if you click on the + sign, it will drop-down to show the write offs placed on the specific charge and the Patient Balance will reflect the amount written off as well.
Please keep in mind, you cannot post a bulk write off on a patient's ledger that will result in the patient having a credit. It will need to result in the patients balance ending in a zero balance or still leaving a balance for the patient to pay.
If you need the patients balance to reflect a credit, you will have to follow the manual write off instructions below.
How To apply a Manual Write-Off
To apply a manual write off on a specific charge, you will go to the Patient's File > Ledger > Charges tab > Double click the charge to open the charge information window.
If the Patient has insurance attached to their case, you will see an area to indicate Patient Responsibility and Payer Responsibility. You can apply a write off to both areas by selecting the ADD button.
Once you select ADD, you will be provided an area indicated in the image below. You will type in the amount of the write off, the reason for the write off from the drop-down and make sure the correct date is displaying.
Once you are finished, you will select the OK button to apply.
write off has been applied, you will see +signs to the left of the CPT code, if you click on the + sign, it will drop-down to show the write offs placed on the specific charge and the Patient Balance will reflect the amount written off as well.
How to Apply a Manual Write-Off and Backdate
Sometimes, Write-Offs should have occured for prior Dates of Service but weren't. If you want to Print a Patient Statement or Super Reciept that displays the Write Off happened Earlier than today's date(default), please follow the steps below:
- Double Click the Charge to Open it up
- In the Write Off Area, hit Add
- Add in your Amount
- Choose your Reason for Write Off
- Adjust your Date to reflect what you want it to display when printing Super Receipts or Patient Statements
- Hit OK
- Double check your Date: Hit the + sien to the left of the Charge you were just working on. It should now display the date you backdated to
- Create your Super Receipt, In my example I pulled the whole month of July 2020. I can see the Write off I backdated, now attached/displaying as I want
- Create your Patient Statement, In my example, I pulled the whole month of July 2020. I can see the Write off I backdated, now attached/displaying as I want
How To Delete a Write-Off
To Delete a write off applied to a patient’s charges, you can do this 3 ways.
Option 1: Select the Delete Write-Off button to the top right of the patients charges screen.
Indicate what write off you need removed and select OK to remove the write-off
Option 2: Double click the patients charge that is housing the write off you need to remove, select the Red X to remove and Select OK
Option 3: Click on the + sign to the left of the charge where the write off was applied
When the drop-down opens up, select the Red X to remove the write off you are needing to remove.
If the write off you are needing to remove is apart of a bulk write off performed, you will see this message appear.
It will ask you if you would like to delete the entire Bulk write off by selecting YES or You can select NO to just remove the write off selected.
Then before any write off can be deleted, you have to confirm the action by selecting YES
- Support Information -
If you have any questions or need assistance with this process please contact Support by:
Live chat: Click the 'Support Portal' button in your main toolbar (on left-hand side) within your software, click the green 'Support' box in bottom right of screen.***This has the fastest response time***
Article is closed for comments.