How to Create a Care Plan with a Template and Making Changes
In this walkthrough, you will see how to apply a care plan by utilizing a created care plan template but, changing any and all data necessary to customize the care plan to the patient's specific needs for care.
This option is used when you would like the Care Plan "Plan" amount (how much the patient is obligated to pay for care), Length of time, CPT codes a patient can utilize etc.
To Get Started
1) Go to the Patients file
2) Select Care Plan Tab
3) Select ADD Care Plan at the bottom of the screen
4) Select Create New Care Plan Button and Select Next
5) Select Start With Template
6) Grab a Template from the Drop-Down menu and Select Next
7) Enter your new Plan Name that explains this Care Plan, you can be as detailed as needed.
You will now notice that all information you entered on the Care Plan template will be present as you select Next and go through the options.
You can change the Plan amount, payment arrangements, charges, etc. to make this care plan unique to this patient's needs.
- If you would like to make a change, simply select the necessary areas and put in the new information.
- If you do not want to make a change to that specific area just hit next and those same settings will stay in place.
8) Once you have gone through all areas, Select Finished
9) Once you are finished, part of your Care Plan info will display
10) If you would like to see all information, Please X out of the Patients file and Reopen the patient file - care plan tab
11) Once the Care Plan has been applied, you will now see the Care Plan tab in the patient's account display in Red. Providing a quick visual that the patient you are looking at, has a Care Plan entered into the patient's file.
To Print or Export a copy of the Care Plan for the Patient, select the Print Button
-A window will pop up containing:
- Patients Name
- Care Plan Description
- When the Plan Starts and Stops
- Number of Visits Included
- Financial Obligations
- Treatment codes offered in the Plan
- Anything Extra
- Payment Schedule
You can Print this Information for the patient or use one of the 3 export options: X=Excel, A=Adobe or W= Word
Under the Ledger Sub-Tab, you will see:
- The running Ledger for the Care Plan only. This excludes any other charges the patient may have in their file
- The Scheduled Payments for the Care Plan
- You can select the Print Ledger button to Print the ledger if needed
- Select the Edit Payments button if you need to change the payment dates
- The payment dates will appear and any payment date that is in the future will have a drop-down so you can change the payment date.
Once you have made your changes, select Save and Close
(In this example, it was selected to pay in full so, there are no payments to alter)
3 things you will see in the Patient File>>Ledger>>Charges Tab
when using Care Plans
Care Plan Downpayment:
- Any Money Due on the Care plan will appear as a Care Plan charge by saying "Care Plan" or "Care Plan Downpayment", in Black.
- You will not see CPT codes changing the Patient Balance.
- Only the care plan payments that become due, will change the balance.
- As Payments become due, they will alter the patient's balance so the office staff can collect payment from the Patient.
- If you are using Auto-debits, (Fortis or Heartland Merchant services) The payment will charge their credit card on the payment date.
Care Plan Charges in Blue:
- Any and ALL charges added in the patient's appointments, that are to be Covered by the Care Plan, will display Blue.
Charges in Black:
- Any Charges that appear in Black, (such as S8990 in this example) Indicate a service was performed that was not covered by the care plan.
- The patient will be responsible to pay ANY charges that display in black as they are outside the agreed Plan.