Appointment Reminder Setup
This feature allows clinics to set up and send multiple Text/Email Appointment Reminders to their patients.
In the Appointment Reminders area of Admin, you set up the template, times, and what patients they should be sent out to.
There is no way to send certain types of reminders to certain types of patients.
The software only sends reminders based on scheduled appointments or missed appointments.
**Please Note: "US Telephone Consumer Protection Act", we have updated the times that CoAction can send out Marketing text messages to abide by this rule stated there. Appointment Reminders are NOT considered Marketing: To ensure full transparency, texts must include both the sender’s identity and opt-out instructions. Businesses must provide a means for consumers to opt-out by replying directly to the text message. Additionally, texts can only be sent between 8 am and 9 pm to minimize inconvenience to the consumer.
Update: With the New Years' update, there is no longer a restriction on when a text appointment reminder will go out. If you have a patient appointment scheduled at 8 am and reminders set to go out 2 hrs before, the patient will receive a reminder at 6 am.
Customizing your Appointment Reminder Messages
Creating a New Reminder Message
Step 1: Selecting what type of Reminder you are going to work on
Reminder messages can go out via text or email. The software separates templates for Email, Text, and Missed appointment reminders. Missed appointment reminders go out via Text only.
Step 2: Selecting who will receive reminders
Whatever option you choose here, will apply for all appointment reminders of that type (either text or email). For example, if you have 3 email reminders and you select the 'send to all patients' option for your email reminders, then all 3 email reminders would go out to all patients.
- 'All patients before their appointments' option - This will send to all patients who have a scheduled appointment. Regardless of whether or not the patient has been opted in to receive reminders in their file > case tab.
- 'Only to patients I select' option - This will only send appointment reminders to patients who have been opted in for them, in their file > case tab.
- 'Disable these reminders' option - This will stop all reminders of this type (either text or email depending on where you choose this option)
Step 3: Getting Started
Step 4: Configuring message details
Once ADD is selected, you will now have the ability to configure your message. The area on the right will light up in RED indicating what must be completed to Save the template. For example: If you are working on an email reminder, the Subject, Message body, and time frame MUST BE filled out to Save.
Data insert options
Your database comes with options to select pre-set buttons (most used) that will generate coding within your message. This ensures your patients' reminders are personalized to them.
These options include:
- Date/Time- Of the scheduled appointment
- Provider- The patient is scheduled to see
- Patient First name
- Reschedule Link- (Requires online scheduling set up) Will provide a link for patients to manually reschedule their existing appointment
- Cancel Link- (Requires online scheduling set up) Will provide a link for patients to cancel their appointment.
If you Right-Click the message body area, you will also see additional pre-sets available to a user.
Here is an example of how one may look when finished
Step 5: Save
Once you like how your message looks, you will hit Save to lock it in.
How to Edit an already created Reminder Message
If you would like to set up multiple reminders to go out, you will select ADD again and repeat the previous steps.
How to Edit an Already Created Reminder
Step 1: Grabbing the right reminder to edit
To edit a reminder that is already listed, you will click on the time frame of the reminder (either in the email or text area for whichever reminder you want to edit) and then click the Edit button
Step 2: Editing your Message
You will now see that the right side is no longer grayed out and will display the contents of the message you had previously entered. Now you would be able to edit the message, subject, and time of that particular reminder. (For text messages, the patient would not see the Subject, that is just what will display in your message queue for you to know what type of communication was sent)
Step 3: Saving your Changes
When you are done editing your reminder message, click Save to lock in the changes to your reminder message.
How to Delete Reminder Messages
Select the time frame for the reminder you need to remove and hit "Delete"
You will receive a message to confirm that you want to remove the reminder. Yes to continue, No to go back.
Please keep in mind:
1. If you are using Email and Text reminders, you have to make sure the patient's email and cell number are placed in the patient's file, under the patient's info tab or message will not be sent to that patient.
2. If you select the option to send reminders to "only patients I select" You will have to opt the patient in to receive reminders by going to the patient's file>Case Tab>Edit> Select Email and/or Text Messages for them to receive reminders.
If you select the option 'Text/Email all patients before their appointments' then you do not have to opt the patient in, within their file > case tab.
- Support Information -
If you have any questions or need assistance with this process, please contact Support by:
Live chat: Click the 'Support Portal' button in your main toolbar (on left-hand side) within the software, click the green 'Support' box in bottom right of screen. Hours of operation are M-F 8am-6pm CST.
***This has the fastest response time***
Article is closed for comments.